Wednesday 10 December 2008

if you can't judge a book by it's cover...

should you judge a person by their books? 

My 'library' (use the term loosely) is currently in my bedroom, for various reasons- pending redecoration of living room, but also because dearest daughter deemed the uneven multicoloured spines 'too untidy' (however the arrival of Pumpkin and all his stuff has rendered that argument obsolete). It's interesting though- the first thing visitors would do was  peruse the shelves, to see what sort of books I read, and presumably make some sort  of initial judgment on me based on that info, and I of course do the same when visiting others. (However it could be argued that discussion of reading material is also interesting conversation). Anyone visiting me just now would assume I never picked up a book in my life....whereas the opposite is pretty much true.

This is not an exact science- using libraries is more economical, eco friendly and supportive of community resources, thus preserving same from possible closure- so one could assume a person never read, whereas the books were all safely returned before the fine due date arose. I have friends who buy a book from charity shops, read and donate to another charity shop- avoiding clutter.

Anyhow that's the question I shall ponder today. The greater question of how far should we judge another at all, will have to wait until my brain resumes full functioning capacity :-)


1 comment:

Neil said...

http://mycounsellingworld.blogspot.com/2008/12/judgemental-thoughts.html