Wednesday 19 November 2008

Interlude: "Smiling, regardless" week

Somewhere, once, I read that one of the best things we can do for our bodies, physiologically, is to smile. Smiling, apparently, has various good effects on our physical, emotional and mental health, whilst making others feel good. So, this week, dearest daughter and I have embarked on 'family smiling, regardless' week. Half way through- it's good. My greatest concern (being a person who takes things Far Too Seriously at times) has been that my smile is genuine, not fake- it isn't 'grinning maniacially' week; so looking for reasons to smile to allow my smile to be genuine, is very rewarding in itself. Other benefits arise too: a bus driver I smiled at on Monday stopped his 18 bus on Tuesday evening to let me get on at a zebra crossing. Coincidence? I think not.

The greatest challenge to my efforts so far has been Diego Maradona....but then he will always remain a challenge for some of us; but even that obstacle was overcome by the Today programme this morning with a poem by Elvis McGonagall. Whenever I think of the 'Hand of God' in future, I'll think of that poem and smile. When they put the poem on iplayer, I'll trancribe it and share.

edit: found it!
http://news.bbc.co.uk/today/hi/today/newsid_7736000/7736264.stm

No comments: