Wednesday 8 April 2009

Corporate Vandalism...


my front window overlooks what must be the oldest remaining dwellings in Johnstone. No longer inhabited (although they were until very recently, when one (specifically the Bakery and Tea House) suddenly just fell down without warning) they've been boarded up and left to take their chances. I'm no architectural expert, but I'd guestimate they date from the late 1700- early 1800's, from the style and the pitch of the roof. Occasionally we look at these buildings from our vantage point and speculate how we would restore them, if we had the means.

On Sunday, I suddenly realised the view had changed. A roof had disappeared. It had been a roof which had holes, substantial holes in it, but it had gone. I ran for my camera and spotted demolition men standing on the gable ends of one of the old houses, emptying the house of contents, and slowly, brick by brick, breaking up the walls at each end. So I took photos and a video from my window. During the holiday weekend I intend to stroll over and snaffle a couple of the bricks to keep as door stops, or something.

It's sad.






No comments: